Ft. Lauderdale Restraining Order Lawyer
Our domestic violence lawyers know that Domestic, Repeat, Dating, and Sexual Violence are serious matters that require serious attention. One of the ways that you can protect yourself against continued violence of this type is by requesting and obtaining a restraining order with the help of a Ft Lauderdale restraining order lawyer.
For information about the processes and procedures required for obtaining a Restraining Order in Broward County, please call the Family Intake Unit at 954-831-5520 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The people serving Broward County by working in this unit are located at the Broward County Courthouse, which is located at 201 S.E. 6th Street, Room 248, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301.
Obtaining a Restraining Order
Our Ft Lauderdale restraining order lawyers know that a frequent question concerning restraining orders is “who can I obtain a violence-related restraining order against?” There are a number of answers to this question, as the answer differs based on the circumstances:
- You may obtain a Domestic Violence Restraining Order in Broward County against a husband, wife, ex-husband, ex-wife, blood relative residing in the same household as you or any other person you are, or were, residing with as a family unit. You may also obtain a Restraining Order against a person with whom you had a child, regardless of whether or not you are living together.
- In response to acts of repeat violence, you may file for a Repeat Violence Restraining Order against anyone who has committed the acts. There must have been two (2) occurrences or acts of physical or sexual abuse and one (1) occurrence must have taken place in the last six (6) months. The Judge may require you to furnish the police reports as filed in order to validate your claims.
- A Dating Violence Restraining Order in Broward County may be filed by individuals who have or have had a continuing and significant relationship of a romantic or intimate nature. The dating relationship must have existed within the past six (6) months.
- A Sexual Violence Restraining Order in Broward County may be filed for any one incident of sexual battery, lewd or lascivious act commits upon or in the presence of a person younger than sixteen (16) years of age, luring or enticing a child, sexual performance by a child or any other forcible felony wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted.
- To obtain a Restraining Order in Broward County, you must appear in person, in the Broward County Domestic Violence Division in Room 248 of the Broward County Courthouse, 201 Southeast 6th Street, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The procedure may take hours and you are required to bring a photo I.D. with a signature.
Contacting a Restraining Order Attorney
If you have been accused of violating the terms of any restraining order for domestic violence, repeat, dating or sexual violence in Broward County, contact a Ft Lauderdale restraining order attorney for immediate assistance and a free initial consultation. An experienced Broward County Criminal Defense attorney will be happy to answer your questions.